I Am A Student Studying Art and Design At Central Saint Martins In London.

This Is An Extension Of My Reflective Journal And A Place For Me To Record My Life..

Wednesday 20 January 2010

Questioning the Properties of Concrete

These pictures are an update of where I am in my ongoing exploration of concrete and its uses as an artistic material. The first and third images below show my first ideas of using concrete to control the movements of people within a space. I feel concrete is an appropriate material to do this as it has become such a prevalent material in todays society. It is used to build just about everything in a modern city - buildings, pavements, roads, sign posts, bridges and stairs (amongst other things) are all made of or rely on concrete, and it is these things that physically affect our movements. Yet we seem to be unaware of these restrictions placed upon us indirectly by this widespread material.


/Room Project proposal No.1\



/Room Project proposal No.2\




/Room Project proposal No.3\



I am interested in the properties of concrete - weight, density, sturdiness... I want to challenge our understanding of these properties by creating an object that contradicts our perception of how that material acts.


/Public sculpture proposal - 
Questioning the Properties of Concrete\


/Public sculpture proposal - 
Questioning the Properties of Concrete\




/The mould I made to cast blocks of concrete -
from which I could carve the shapes needed\

No comments:

Post a Comment