I Am A Student Studying Art and Design At Central Saint Martins In London.

This Is An Extension Of My Reflective Journal And A Place For Me To Record My Life..

Monday 14 December 2009

Translucent Concrete

/See-through Concrete\



Found this Blog: http://greenlineblog.com/2008/08/litracon-light-transmitting-concrete/ It is about a material that I have become increasingly interested in - translucent concrete.


The material - from the company LiTraCon (Light Transmitting Concrete) - works by adding 4% of optical glass fibres to a fine concrete mix, which in turn makes it possible for light and shadow to be seen through the concrete. Light can still be seen through it at 20 metres thick. Their website is here. The only problem for me is that the concrete is very expensive! Here is the price list:





Knowing that I can not afford to buy this material, I really want to try and make my own version of it. I would have to buy some fiber optic cables and some concrete and then find the best way to get light to pass through. I have tried looking on the internet for places that sell the type of glass fibre optic cable that I need, but at the moment I can't find anywhere, which is a bit annoying. I am about to send an email to this company asking them if they could supply me with it.


I have already had countless ideas of what i could do with a material like this, so I am really exited about getting my hands dirty!

No comments:

Post a Comment